[Gpdd] BEHAVIOR- eating bedding?!

Kirsty Ford kirstyford at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 10 08:20:05 EDT 2006

Hi, I haven't posted to the digest in a long time because I've been so
busy. But something happened yesterday that I just had to post about.

Went shopping on Saturday to get my guineas Zig and Zag a few things
and while we were there my boyfriend spotted some bedding that he
thought they might like. Its called Vitakraft Country Home. I tried to
find a piccy on the net but the best I could find was this
http://www.vitakraft.de/de/ar/ha/bilder/haprr16.jpg. It basically just
a top litter with bit of wood, bark etc to make the guineas feel a bit
more at home.My boyfriend wont admit it but he loves spoiling Ziggy
and Zaggy so he insisted on buying it for them!

When I cleaned out their cage yesterday I just sprinkled a small
amount on top of their usual bedding, didn't want to put too much as
wasn't sure how they'd react. Well I put them back in the cage and
geve them the tea (one of their favourites, melon. They're very spoilt
little girls!) and we left them to it.

Well went to look in on them bout an hour later and they were both
standing there muching away, but not on their tea, on their new
bedding! And when I went to check on them this morning at least half
of its gone. i tried to explain to them that it wasn't for eating but
they weren't having any of it and just kept on muching.

I assume it wont do them any harm but I was wondering whether any one
elses guineas enjoy eating bark? I wouldn't of thought it was the
tasiest thing ever!