[Gpdd] Care (Keeping Cool - Water Bottles)

Holly Marr purplecavy at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 23 13:48:40 EDT 2006

Hello All!
  Something i do during the warmer months...i have several extra bottles so that
  anytime a new water bottle is needed, i always have a full well-chilled one to use.
  What i do is this: i fill the bottles ONLY 1/3 the way with water, & then i put them
  into the FREEZER.  By only filling them 1/3, the ice can expand and it does not
  crack the bottle.  When it's time to change a bottle, i pour chilled water over top
  the ice (i keep a 1/2 gallon pitcher of water in my 'fridge just for this use) and
  put the top on and hang it up like any other bottle.  On cages that have 2 bottles,
  the iced-water bottle is the prefered one to drink from!  (i do lean the bottles in the
  freezer against some frozen veggies, causing the water to freeze at an angle and
  i believe this gives more surface area for the cold water to melt and stay icy.)
  Though this does not cool the surrounding air, it gives the piggies a frosty cold
  drink of water, and that will help, too.

  Aside...Joan, where do you live that it was 106?!

  ~snip~
  From: joan fagalde <momcat1000 at yahoo.com>
Subject: [Gpdd] care:keeping cool
Thank you Pam for the suggestion.  Today was 106 degrees outdide and 90
in my place so I used your idea and wrapped the Lady Bug in a clean
damp dish towel.  She loved it and actually dozed off.  More importantly,
she cooled down!  Great idea!    Joan, slave to the Lady Bug
  ~snip~

  -holly in New Jersey with brothers Buz and Alfred, and Sonny, and Micah-Man