[Gpdd] Care - Fly Relief

Susi Eastin ok.cavylodge at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 29 12:44:50 EDT 2006

Karen - It's easy to get flies when we bring things in from  outdoors,
  last year we had a problem with them from some hay.  We went
  through countless things before we found something that really
  worked, plus was safe for the piggies.  Besides cleaning everything
  really well (they'll lay eggs on things, then you'll have more problems),
  we use Quik Strike Fly Abatement Strips by Starbar. These are hard
  to find, finally I discovered my local feed store has started carrying
  them, so she'll keep them in stock. These are large (approx 6" x
  18") flat red plastic with holes allowing the flies access to the sticky
  yellow strip inside that kills them. At each end is a raised area where
  you snap it to release something that attracts the flies to the strip -
  one end now, the other in 3 weeks, thus lasting 6 weeks or more.
  One strip costs $9.98, a package of two is $15, at least in this area.
  Since this is hard to find, I'll include the mfgr info on the back:
  Wellmark, Schaumburg,IL 60173
  One note - while it's safe for the piggies(keep it out of their reach,of
  course - I put it on newspapers to catch the dead flies) - there is an
  odor. Don't know if it's the attractant, or the dead flies, or both. But
  it was a good trade-off for us. We try to keep one going year round
  now.  If you can't locate a source, let me know. Maybe my feed
  dealer can give me some better contact information.

  Good luck!
  Susi & the OP's