[Gpdd] MISC/cavies

Ruth Leibowitz dr.leibq at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 30 13:18:50 EDT 2006

"I mentioned the water issue  to the vet just the other day
since all of my others drink plenty of water and he pointed out that
actually, cavies come from a rather arid part of the world."

This may be true of guinea pigs (I think they live in grasslands) however it
cannot be said of cavies in general.  One cavy, the capybara -- the largest
cavy/rodent in the world -- is actually aquatic. If any gp member has never
seen a capybara or a picture of one, it's worthwhile doing an internet
search.  Capybaras can weigh up to 100 pounds.  They look a little bit like
giant guinea pigs with webbed feet.  Like guinea pigs, they live in herds.
One way they have of escaping predators is actually to run into the water.

Ruth in Portland