[Gpdd] Misc: Trimming matted Edna

Lisa Choiniere lmchoiniere at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 5 17:59:58 EDT 2006

Elizabeth,

  My Peruvian Bianca was a horrible mess when I first got her and is a monster to groom. I think she was manhandled and was probably "gotten" by the scissors a few too many times and now she is very defensive. She will whip around and has laid my hand open a few times! She goes crazy at even the sound of scissors (and don't even think about bringing a comb near her, poor darling)! So perhaps Edna is similar?

  My solution is to use electric trimmers. You can get a pretty decent set for fairly inexpensive, the noise does not bother them (I have used it on various pigs for a lot of different reasons and none of them have given me any trouble and they are MUCH safer!) I use them almost exclusively now since there is now way a pig could jerk and inadvertently get stabbed or sliced or an eye poked out (my sis worked at an emergency vet and has seen such grooming injuries in various species).

  You have to practice to get a decent looking cut. My poor Bianca looked a little silly the first few times I cut her hair, but now we do pretty well! She is quite the respectable Peruvian (with a bob). She gets clipped pretty short to minimize the amount of grooming since she gets so traumatized.

  If you need any more specifics, let me know! I am glad to help!

  Lisa and my gang at Wheeks and Squeaks GP Rescue