[Gpdd] Health: Eye Question (Tater)

DFHAKES at aol.com DFHAKES at aol.com
Sun Jun 18 12:25:57 EDT 2006

Many guinea pigs have intraocular osseous metaplasia, which becomes more
common as they age.  This can look like a milky film on the eye but more
frequently it looks like a white, uneven ring around the eye.  It occurs  becomes a
bony-like structure grows rapidly in the eye.  We have a  vet/opthamologist
here in Tampa who was studying it in depth because it occurs  so frequently.  It
does not appear to cause pain and since guinea pigs have  quite poor eyesite
(compared to their other senses) it's generally not  treated.

A vet should use a drop of anesthetic, then place a tonometer on the eye to
measure pressure.  If there's no pressure, there's nothing to worry  about.

Regards,

Dana F. Hakes
Chapter Manager
Tampa Bay House  Rabbit Society

Please check out our rabbit information and lists of  adoptable rabbits at:
_www.tampabayhrs.org_ (http://www.tampabayhrs.org/)
http://wwww.tampabayhrs.petfinder.com  (check out our new Petfinder address!)

"It doesn't matter what  the kids say. Rabbits are not disposable like a box
of cereal or a Disney video.  They WILL get tired of the rabbits and go on to
the next toy. YOU will have to  deal with the consequences. Unfortunately,
most people deal with the situation  by DUMPING their rabbits on someone else.
Ultimately, it is the bunny that pays  for your inability to say NO."