[Gpdd] HEALTH: Martin Luther has crossed the bridge

rollinsl at musc.edu rollinsl at musc.edu
Sun Jun 18 13:03:24 EDT 2006

Hello everyone,
Over the past 8 months, Martin Luther's respiratory problems have been such a
struggle. He did have periods of total remission. over the past month, it has
gotten worse than ever before. I did every thing I could to make him
comfortable, but the medicine just wasn't working. He was struggling so hard to
breath. At times he would have to use his whole body to breathe out of his
mouth, which was so painfull to watch. On Friday I took him to a new vet. He
found that Martin Luther had a fungal infection instead of a bacterial.
Antibiotics and other medicines don't work on fungal infections. There is no
cure. So I made the agonising choice to put him to sleep. He went very
peacfully in my arms. By the time I handed him over to the vet, he was soaked
from my tears. The doctor dried him off, and placed him in a box, wrapped in
his baby blanket. I burried him in his favorite spot in the back yard, with his
favorite toy (my tennis shoe), his igloo, and sprinkled it with peaches and
cream oatmeal(his absolute favorite treat), and packed it down with hay before
covering the hole. The hardest part was cleaning out his cage and throwing his
stuff away. (I had to sterilize everything for Pippin who was in another cage.)
I still haven't thrown away his cuddle cup, its on my bed still. I can't do it.
Pippin has been exceptionally sweet. The doctor says he has no sign of
infection. I'm so glad I have him- he has been my comforter for the past 3
days. He doesn't give kisses though, that will always be Martin Luther's.

Laura Grace and Perigrin Took (pippin)