[Gpdd] [MISC] new piggie and socialization question

Vashtigray at aol.com Vashtigray at aol.com
Fri Jun 23 09:15:28 EDT 2006

Greetings to all fellow piggie slaves!  I'm excited to announce that I have
my second cavy!  I hadn't planned on getting a second one quite so soon; it was
quite the pleasant surprise.  You see, when I originally adopted Pacey, my
boyfriend, his mother, and his thirteen-year-old sister were with me.  When she
saw how cute Pacey was, of course, his sister had to have a cavy too!  So
after much pleading, her mother relented and allowed her to adopt out an adorable
little piggie.

Unfortunately, as the months went on, it became clear that they simply didn't
have time to care for him and so they asked me two evenings ago if I would be
willing to take him in because they knew how much I loved (read, obsessed
over!) caring for Pacey.  So of course, I consented because I didn't want him to
either become neglected or to be given away to a home that wouldn't care for
him as much as he deserved.  So we packed up his belongings, and off he went
home with me!

I renamed him Dawson (my love for cavies is, apparently, nearly rivaled by
fixations with defunct teen soaps) and he seems to be adjusting well.  He's
still rather timid and spends a good deal of time in his hideaway, but he's eating
well and spending more and more time venturing out.  Pacey, however, does not
seem to be taking the new arrival well - I made the error of allowing them to
have floor time simultaneously and he got a bit aggressive so I've kept them
separated ever since (which I thought was odd, because they used to live in
the same cage when they were initially adopted out, but I don't know how well
they can be resocialized after nearly three months apart, especially since
they're both boars).  I keep their cages near each other so that they can at least
see one another and communicate (although Dawson isn't terribly vocal - Pacey,
on the other hand, is a little chatterbox).  I can't keep them too near each
other, though, or else Pacey gets extremely angry and tries to get at him,
runs around like a madman, and chews on his own cage.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to effectively socialize these two
piggies over time?  Will they always need to be kept physically separated, or
is there a way to successfully bring them together?