[Gpdd] [MISC]Oregon Petstore with pregnant piggie

Jessica Schmidt jess_schmidt at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 26 00:28:08 EDT 2006

Hello all,

  My mom lives in Beaverton, Oregon and is concerned with a situation at a petstore near there. Last week she went in and saw a very pregnant guinea pig and she's been worried about it all week. It was (is) housed in a large metal feed trough with about 8 other pigs (at least one of which is a male) and three rabbits!! She saw it on a Monday and went back to investigate on a Wed., where she asked the girl if the pregnant piggie would be seperated and the sales girl told her yes, but "sometimes they just come in in the morning and there are babies."

  So my mom was still worried and went back today (Sunday, almosr a week later) and found the guinea pig is still pregnant and still housed in the trough. My mom was going to buy her (for their advertised piggie price of $6.99 = (  ), take her home and take her to the vet tomorrow. And when she asked the clerk the lady told her that she wasn't for sale because she was obviously pregnant. And my mom told her she was very concerned for her and wanted to take her to the vet she uses for her piggies, etc. My mom asked if they were going to seperate her and they lady said she wasn't going to pick up a pig who was "that pregnant." And the sales lady said that pig would be protective of her babies and they would be fine from the male and the rabbits. My mom explained how the mother pig could get pregnant again within hours from the male and the lady ignored her. She said she wasn't going to let someone buy her and take her out in the heat  to a strange place. (My mom thought the
 only sensible thing she'd said was the part about the heat).

  My mom left, upset and still worried. I would like to know what you all think she should do. Is there anything she can do? Should she contact the humane society? I just knew you all would understand and maybe could offer some advice. She's concerned and now I am, but I can't do much from Oklahoma.

  Thanks, and best wishes to all piggies and their people.

  Jessica