[Gpdd] [CARE] Foreign objects in CellSorb

Diana diana_barbour at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 29 13:02:40 EDT 2006

Hi, everyone!

Just wanted to let you all know that, first of all, Miss Lucy's eye, which was getting all goopy, is much much better now, and didn't even need to be treated according to her new vet, whom we liked--she seemed very knowledgeable about piggies, and took it in stride when Lucy tried to bite her while she was examining  her teeth.  That, and screaming as though she was being murdered when her ears were examined, was Lucy's only misbehavior during her exam...she actually took being weighed much, much better than I do when my vet weighs me!

 I found out what was bothering her eyes, by accident, when I was changing her cage...I used to put down some newspaper, then a layer of CellSorb, then a very thick layer of Carefresh, since this seemed to absorb liquids very well and was a little bit cheaper than using pure Carefresh.

Never again, though.  A couple of weeks ago I couldn't find any CellSorb anywhere, and was told by one petstore that they had had a "production problem".  Well, I called around and finally found the last two bags in the Pittsburgh area and had the store hold them for me till I could pick them up.

When I opened the first bag and poured it out into her cage during changing time, though, there was not only an inch-long piece of wire in there, but several small (as in, swallow-and-choke sized) pieces of assorted colored plastic!  No kidding, a production problem!

So I took both bags back to the pet store, which they not only immediately took back, but they also marked the unopened bag as damaged so it would not be resold and hurt someone else's pet, and they said they would return it to the manufacturer and tell them about what I had found in there, though I will be willing to bet they already know about it.

And, of course, after a week on pure CareFresh, Lucy's eye was much, much better...I guess there must have been something in the CellSorb that bothered her eye.  It still gets a little runny sometimes, but nowhere near what it was like. Just to be on the safe side though, I am not putting any more newspaper in there either, just in case THAT was the irritant.

So to anyone that I recommended using a layer of CellSorb under the Carefresh in the cage, I apologize profusely, and hope that no one else's piggie has had any problems with the stuff.  Has anyone else had a problem with it?

Diana

Luckily, I got a raise at work recently, so I will just spend it on Carefresh!