[Gpdd] INTRO: New member!

Jo Ann Henry jojoscats at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 1 12:32:01 EST 2006

Hi all! I've been lurking on this list for a few
weeks, and I thought it was time to introduce myself.

My name is Jo Ann, and I'm a veterinary technician /
fashion student living in New York City.

My darling boyfriend and I cater to the every whim of
three cats, three rats, and currently six guinea pigs.

My oldest cat, "Weenie" (Halloween) will be 20 this
October - I plan on having a small party for her with
her favorite people. The other two cats, sisters
"Scuba" and "Bubu" (Batterup), are seven. I bottle
raised all three of them.

I've had my rats for alittle over a year now... All of
my rats were "rescued" from the lab and have a genetic
liver disorder. The veterinarian tried to convince me
not to adopt them since they will get sick and they
will die young. But I think that if they are only
going to live a year, they should live a year being
spoiled by me! I have a very naughty rat "Nosh", her
little friend "Tidbit" and an even younger male,
"Peck". My beloved rat, "Snack", passed away late last
year, just weeks after my 6 year old quaker parrot
"Lucky Lefty". (SIGH. It never gets easier.)

My boyfriend was the one who wanted a guinea pig, and
he went and purchased a tiny guy from a petstore. All
was well except the wacky vet tech with 15 years of
experience (me!) mistakenly sexed him as "female".
Woops. SOOO, while I was at school one day, my
boyfriend went a purchased "another" female to keep
the pig company. I bet you all know what happened
next!

So, now we have "Eggplant" (otherwise known as
Man-pig), "Sweet Potato", and their four adorable,
four week old popcorns. I just had man-pig neutered
last week, and I'm scheduling little "Snickers" for
his neutering soon. Of the offspring, we're keeping
the boy and one sister, and my friend is adopting the
other two sisters. I'm glad that everyone has a
"roommate".

I guess that's enough about me and my kids. I have
many years of experience with exotics in medicine, but
this is the first time that I have a piggy as a pet.
It's been interesting to say the least! I hope that I
can learn from the listmembers, and help out when I
can. It's great to be around other owners, because
noone understands how truly addicting these little
guys can be...

Cheers,
Jo Ann
newly obsessed