[Gpdd] MISC/ Do Guinea Pigs Grieve?

ghost1972 at sbcglobal.net ghost1972 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 9 12:18:17 EST 2006

    Hello, everyone. I truly believe that all animals grieve. I haven't had an experience with guinea pigs, but I have seen this in action with other sorts of animals and I am certain it applies to our furry friends as well.
    Once when I was little we had a huge apple tree in our backyard, under which was a stone bird fountain. One Spring a cardinal family made their nest in our tree and had some babies. Sadly, one of the little chicks fell from the nest and drowned in our fountain. Well, every day whenever they were feeding their other chicks, those cardinals would drop some food into the fountain and chirp as if they were crying. They did this that whole summer and next year they didn't come back to nest in our tree.
    Another time, a squirrel fell from a tree near our house and hurt itself. We called animal control to come and help it, and while we were waiting for them to show up, a family of squirrels actually came down from the tree and tried to comfort it. They chittered at their hurt companion, stroked him, and kept him company until help arrived.
    This is why I am so certain that animals do have souls. Anything that can mourn and comfort and cry simply has to have that gift, even if they don't do it the same way that we do. So, if you have a guinea friend that is feeling lonseome or sad at the passing of another, try to treat them the same way you would your child. Hold it, stroke it, and tell it in your most calm and loving voice about the Rainbow Bridge. Let it know that we'll all meet again and that there's no reason to be sad or afraid. They'll understand.
                                            Amber