[Gpdd] [Health] <Jan Update>

Janneke Staaks jannekestaaks at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 10 08:07:00 EST 2006

Hi all,
Just a quick update on Jan and his castration. He is doing very well so far.
The vet told me it was an operation by the book, everything went perfectly.
When we got home I put him in his cage and the first thing he did was run to
the corner where Suus was waiting with her nose between the bars and he
started rumblestrutting right away. Then they licked eachother's noses quite
elabotely and next he started eating. I put 2 leaves of chicory,2 leaves of
endive and 4 slices of cucumber in his cage. He ate everyting, yawned and
fell asleep. He is doing quite good now, he eats and sleeps a lot, so that's
probably a good sign. He is living on towels now which i change regularly
and I check his stitches 3 times a day. And everything looks good so far.
I also think the vet and her assistent developed a little crush on my little
casanova. When I brought him in she was allready like "wow he's pretty" and
I saw him giving her his 'sexy look' (ain't I cute??). And when I came to
pick him up, the first thing she said was "he is soooo sweeeet"(with a
twinkle in her eye), and she repeated it at least three times. And then I
got a big box of guinea pig treats from the assistent for him with a very
big smile and a "because he likes them soo much *wink*". He was a very good
boy and he let them handle him and do everything with him. She said he was a
'modelpiggie' (it doesn't quite translate, but it's not the model as in kate
moss and claudia schiffer, more the model 'as it ought to be').
Poor Susie really missed her man, when i went to bed on wednesday (we
decided to have him stay over at the vet's, due to boring things that have
to do with traffic and stuff) she was sitting in her corner where she
usually is chatting with jan and she had this really sad look. When I left
in the morning to pick him up she was still sitting in that corner with the
same face. And since he's back she tries to do everyting from that
corner,and checking on him to see if he's okay. My otherwise very vocal
piggies(all of them) are also more quiet than usual. But they do like that
they get all the veggies they can eat (instead of 3 times a day).
okay, have to go home now and be a piggynurse (i only have internet at my
job).Thank you everyone who sent the emails :-)
Btw, Carly, i don't know if your comments on castration arose because of
jan's castration, but just to make sure, I think i would have reacted the
same way if that had happened to me and I also think that it is very good
that there are different opinions on this topic. If anyone else has to make
this decision, it is good to get opinions from different sides since this
certainly isn't a decision that should be taken lightly (Although i doubt
there is anyone on this list that would take it lightly).
Lots of Love and wkz
Janneke from the winky girls