[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Ella is at it again!

Michelle Lazarus michelle.lazarus at jefferson.edu
Tue Mar 14 10:35:27 EST 2006

Hello all,
First I would like to say that I am truly sorry for the many losses on
this post lately, it breaks my heart to hear any of you suffer from the
loss of your friend.

I am writing today because poor Ella is still having problems.  I have
talked to our vet and we have decided that the best course of action is
to sedate her and look at her molars.  We recently started suspecting
that her teeth may be to blame for her other ailments.  And now her
right eye is sort of popping out and her right side of her face seems to
be swollen.  She has always eaten slower then the other girls and
sometimes has taken to slobbering.  But each time they looked at her
front  teeth they look good!  But when they try to get a good look at
her molars, she always has a lot of food stored in her mouth (which is
another reason we think she is in pain when chewing, and then doesn't
finish the job) so they want to sedate her to get a good look at her
molars.   But I am very very worried about having our baby sedated.
Isn't sedation really dangerous in piggies?  But then again, I don't
want her to continue to suffer if in fact her teeth are overgrown.  I
have scheduled the procedure for the 27th of March so we can have our
regular vet take care of her and because she is still eating.

Please let me know what you think about the sedation and the course of
action.  It brings tears to my eyes to know that Ella may not wake up.

Thanks-
Michelle