[Gpdd] Care: Albert and his Picky ways

ghost1972 at sbcglobal.net ghost1972 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 14 12:45:53 EST 2006

    Dearest Jaime,
    Well, I am not going to claim that I am an expert at this guinea-mommy thing, but I do have a thought about Albert not eating his pellets. It reminds me of my guinea girls, actually. Sometimes they will eat all of the pellets in their bowl and wheek for more, but not touch any of their spinach. Other times, they'll eat all of their parsley and carrots, and leave the pellets and hay for hours. I think they're just not in the mood for them. It's like when your child loves macaroni shells with bits of broccoli, and you make it knowing it's her favorite lunch, and she says, "No! I want cereal!" So you bop her on the head and tell her to eat it anyway (kidding!).
    It's like when you crave Chinese food (sesame chicken and crab rangoons... mmmm) and someone serves up a huge array of Mexican delights. Sure, it's good, but does it hit the spot? No. Do you still want the lusciousness that it crab rangoons (crab meat, scallions, honey and cream chesse all fried up in a crispy wonton wrapper........ *drool*)? Of course you do! Same sort of thing. It's just that guineas don't concern themselves with politeness and will simple not eat what they don't want.
    No, seriously, as long as you have timothy hay in there to keep his teefers down and keep the pellets available for when he changes his mind, I bet all will be well.
    Think about it, they don't have pellets in the wild, and the little buggers manage to live without. They just eat other things. So, I say don't sweat it.
    ****Disclaimer**** The truth of the matter is I am not a vet, so there is a chance that I might be wrong. My lackadaisical (good word, huh?) way of eating is not for everyone, and though my guineas maintain good health doing it my way doesn't mean that all guineas will. I accept no responsibility for health problems that arise from taking my advice, though the old guilt will most likely settle in on me regardless. :)
    Good luck.
                                    Amber
PS: Man! I really want some Chinese food now!