[Gpdd] Care: Dirty Guinea Water Bottles

ghost1972 at sbcglobal.net ghost1972 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 14 12:50:25 EST 2006

    Dear Susanna,
    You know, I had that issue with my guineas' bottles too. You know what helped? 1) Clean the water bottle every day when you refill their food bowls. I know it's a drag, but they drink more water when you do and it gets gunky less often. 2) Once a week when you really clean out the cage, take the water bottle and put in a shot of Listerine and then fill it with water. Let that sit while you're scrubbing your heart out and once the cage is all out back together, rinse out the bottle until you can't smell the Listerine anymore. Then fill it with water and set it up like usual. My girls actually drink their daily amount since I started doing that. I'll tell you, the minute the water gets "old" they won't touch it. No way.
    I hope this helps.
    Amber