[Gpdd] Health: Ella and Her Teeth

Carla Martinez cmartinez36 at houston.rr.com
Wed Mar 15 23:24:30 EST 2006

Hi Michelle,

My piggie Snowball told me to get right on the computer and tell Ella it is
very important to get her teeth checked out. Snowball knows because he has
been having his molars trimmed on a monthly basis for eleven months now. It
is the only way he can continue to eat.

I just had a discussion with the vet about sedation of guinea pigs
yesterday. I did not want Snowball under anesthesia for his teeth trim. The
vet was working to convince me that it was safe and he was confident about
his ability to control the gas to an optimum level for Snowball's species,
weight and age. I wanted him to use oral diazepam (valium) to relax
Snowball, but the vet did not want to do that, because he said it would be
hard to gauge the right level /effect on Snowball and when it would wear
off. Also if Snowball moved his tongue during the trimming the instrument
could cut him. So I reasoned I had to help the vet be comfortable so he
would keep my piggie comfortable. So I relented and it turned out great for
Snowball. He came back perky as a lamb in about 15 - 20 minutes.

The vet told me a few things I did not know:
1. They don't stop the piggies heart, or anywhere near that. A vet tech once
told me they would stop my dog's heart for his anesthetic. (that about
stopped *my* heart!)

2. The risk is equal to the piggie on the first time or the 20th time. The
effects are not cumulative, unlike the anesthetics of the past.

3. The gas allows them to wake up and come out of anesthesia immediately.

Snowball and I wish Ella the best of luck with her teeth. Snowball's problem
also causes him to get gobs of food and saliva in the back of his throat. He
gets points on the molars that hurt his tongue and trap the tongue so the
food stays in the throat for a longer time.

Hearing that her eye is bulging out makes me want to tell you not to wait
until March 27 -- unless you that is the first available time you can get
your preferred vet. Best to Ella and you and all your herd. Keep us posted.

Carla, Snickers and Snowball