[Gpdd] Health--moldy water bottles

DEB GANLEY debg43 at verizon.net
Fri Mar 17 23:42:19 EST 2006

I use  antibacterial Dawn & a bottle brush to scrub it all out, 2 or 3 times a week.  Once a week, when I clean the houses out totally with 1/2 & 1/2 white vinegar & water solution, I use a 1/2 & 1/2 solution of hydrogen peroxide & antibac Dawn/water with the bottle brush.  The peroxide is cheap (I get a 1 liter bottle for 96c in Walmart) & it disinfects the bottles.  Also check the sipper tubes--some embarrassing black stuff can get stuck in there if you don't clean it out regularly--I use full-stength peroxide on a Q-tip & get in the top & bottom--& rinse it all out well.  I also wouldn't let the water bottles get empty--pigs slurry (spit food back into the water bottle, even if you can't see it)--that'll build up bacteria in the bottle--also if you put Vit C in the water bottles, that'll build up bacteria even if you change the water every day.  Besides, pigs need water & can't run out!    Other than that, maybe your local water supply has changed lately?  Hope that helped---Deb, Potter, Molly & Emma