[Gpdd] Health-hay

Maren Fouts magbfouts at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 07:36:04 EST 2006

Hi Joan,

There are a few reasons why it is best to give adult pigs that aren't
pregnant or nursing
Timothy Hay.  Yes, I believe it's higher in calories, but it's also higher
in fat and minerals.
Those extra minerals can give your pig stones so Alfalfa is not preferable.
What kinds of
Timothy have you tried giving Lady Bug?  Mine go absolutely nuts when I put
fresh Oxbow
hay in their cage and they spend at least 30 minutes rooting through it and
eating it.
Perhaps you could try different brands.

I find it interesting that Lady Bug seems that opposed to Timothy hay.  Of
course, having hay is
really important for the fiber and that it wears down continually growing
teeth.  so I suppose
alfalfa is bette than no hay at all.  I would worry about stones though
since your pig is not
overweight.

Hope this helped!
Piggy kisses,