[Gpdd] misc-hoarding

joan fagalde momcat1000 at yahoo.com
Sun May 14 14:53:00 EDT 2006

I think Jaimie is right.  An experience we had in our area and that made the national news was in Petaluma.  We all call her the "cat lady".  I forget the actual number but she had over 100 cats in a two bedroom house.  They had access to the back yard but her fence was such that they couldn't get out.  The neighbors finally couldn't stand the smell and called animal control.  That's when everyone found out what was going on.  There were sick, dead, partially eaten, deformed cats and kittens as well as a few healthy ones.  There weren't very many that could be adopted out as they were too wild and couldn't be socialized. The lady started "with just a few" that she was "rescuing".  Of course cats did what cats do and it became insane.  (By the way, that's what the judge said she was.)  Turns out she has the compulsive disorder.  She also had a house in San Francisco and would leave the cats alone for two and three weeks at a time, no food, water or anything.  What I don't
 understand are relatives doctors and neighbors.  I have a good idea what goes on in my neighborhood and wouldn't hesitate to call someone if things weren't quite right.  Yes, I can sympathize with the disease but what she did is still inexcusable.