[Gpdd] MISC: OCD and Guinea Slavedom

ghost1972 at sbcglobal.net ghost1972 at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 17 03:04:59 EDT 2006

    I was really intrigued by the topic of obsessive compulsive disorder and how it relates to being a guinea mommy or daddy. So I got to thinking about it, and I started to realize that you could really learn a lot about your own psychosis (everyone has at least one, btw) by observing how you treat your guineas.
    Example: I have this weird thing where I try to make things extra nice for everyone else and not for myself. For instance, when I fill my guineas' bowl I will cut everything very nicely and place it "just so" in their sparkling clean food dish. While I am warming up a hot pocket in the microwave for myself, which I will eat wrapped in a paper towel. I always use fresh clean towels on my daughter and guineas while I will use the one hanging up on the rack. It's just my way. *shrug*
    Or here's one that makes my husband nuts. I'll be in the fridge getting them some romaine and I'll notice it's getting those little red veins. I'll say, "I can give them this! It's old!" and then I will put that romaine in a salad for my lunch. He says, "I thought it was old?" And I'll reply, "Well, yes, it's not good enough for them. *crunch, munch*" It makes him so mad.
    Still, I think guineas can heal you as well.
    Case in point: I have a little problem with depression. It started after I had my daughter and really hasn't let up since, darn hormones! But, with a little bit of medication (all natural St. John's Wort and vitamins because side effects scare me) and my guinea babies I have gone back to my pre-post-partum state. :) It's just that they love you SO MUCH! They always wheek when I come home and popcorn when I talk to them. I love my girls!
    Who would have thought little arms that can't wrap around you could give such big hugs?
                        Have a Great Day,
                            Amber, Pooky and Blacky