[Gpdd] [MISCELLANEOUS] OCD & Guinea Slavedom

DebJonSara at aol.com DebJonSara at aol.com
Thu May 18 04:46:47 EDT 2006

Amber, I can SO identify with you - and my partner Pete can identify with
your partner! In my head, piggies come first, so .... Pete has to ask before
using any salad or veggies from the fridge, as most of it is "reserved" for the
piggies .....

The vegetable plot is sown with veggies for the piggies - I remember Pete
asking last year, "Well, is there going to be anything here which WE can
actually eat?" There were the courgettes - but only because the piggies don't  like
them!

In winter I dig in the snow to find dandelions and other weeds for the
piggies!

But I think the funniest example was when friends dropped by unexpectedly
and I "entertained" them in a porch full of guinea pigs and their mess.
Eventually they said they mustn't keep me, they were sure I was busy, and I said
"No, not really - I'm just cleaning the study ready for the male guinea pigs to
move in from outdoors for the winter!" I could see them perusing the mess, and
 wondering why on earth I needed to clean before putting piggies in a room -
but  I do, because there might be something lying around the floor which would
be  harmful to them! And I clean out my piggie cages far more frequently than
I  clean the human living areas of the house!

Last Christmas, I even made my family, including Pete's mum, eat their
Christmas dinner at one end of the dining table whilst the piggie cages were  piled
on the other end! It was just too cold for them to stay in the  porch!!

When I read about animal hoarders, I often think, "there but for the grace
of God go I" - we do have nearly 50 animals here, though most are guinea pigs
or  poultry. I have a great need to "rescue" animals I see in distress. But
here in  rural France, I see animals in distress every day - rabbits crammed into
tiny  hutches like sardines, dogs tied up all day and night, cats living
ferally .. .  But I am living on benefits, and I just know I cannot afford to take
on any  more, so I steel myself, accepting that any additions would lead to a
 deterioration to the standard of life for the animals I already have. But I
can  see how it happens to the hoarders - I am sure most of them mean well,
and  eventually they get so embroiled in their slavery they just can't see
objectively any more. I feel they need sympathy and help, not condemnation. But
breeders, rather than hoarders - well, they make me really angry. I don't mean
responsible ones, but those who breed indiscriminately and in huge munbers
purely for profit.

I was offline due to phone problems for a week or so, so please can I offer
my most sincere belated condolences to all who have lost piggies to The Bridge
 since I last posted.

Debbie