[Gpdd] HEALTH: Cinnamon Bear is having trouble

Michael Tanaka mtanaka at hawaii.edu
Tue May 23 02:23:33 EDT 2006

Hello everyone and everypig.  Last Thursday, late, I noticed a small red
bump on Cinnamon Bear's penis.  On Friday, it grew.  On Saturday, by
nighttime, we couldn't extrude the penis, it seemed swollen.  We went to an
emergency vet on Sunday (we learned our vet had retired) and she gave a subq
but it seemed sloppily done since it was leaking.  They gave metacam and
because he was in such pain, I gave 1 1/2 doses (0.15 rather than 0.1)--once
on sunday, then on monday.  They also gave us sulfatrim.  The vet's office
said I probably damaged his kidneys.  Monday, we took him to another vet.
She did subq's and showed us how to do it so we could do it at home.  She
said he seemed dehydrated.  Then she gave us baytril.  After seeing the vet,
I saw Cinnamon Bear more alert and active.  When we got home, he was
exhausted which was expected after all he'd gone through.  Now, he's a limp
little brown guy.  I think you know what I mean when I say,this little brown
guy is MY LIFE.  I LOVE HIM SOOOO MUCH. I can't believe that I 'overdosed'
him and perhaps did him in.  PLEASE, I beg all of you, if you have any
ideas, let me know.  Also, we were alarmed that on his left testicle and leg
and area, there were small dark purple spots.  They seem to be growing.  The
vet didn't know what that meant and neither do we.  I had tried to get
appointments with guinea pig savvy vets but they were all booked solid that
they couldn't fit us in.  We found this vet that seems to know some things.
PLEASE, I'm crying here, my heart is broken.  I can't lose my little
Cinnamon Bear.  ANY ideas at all.  I love Cinnamon Bear soooo much, I'd give
my own life for him.....

Thanks,

Corrine