[Gpdd] HEALTH: It's official, Tabby has glaucoma

Lisa Choiniere lmchoiniere at yahoo.com
Tue May 23 20:37:14 EDT 2006

Hi everyone,

  Haven't posted in a while... We here at the rescue want to extend our condolences for those that have recently passed to the bridge.

  Tabby, my bulgy-eyed pig went to the vet last week. She is one of my sanctuary pigs and has always been bulgy eyed. I knew it wasn't any sort of tooth abscess because she always eats with such gusto and there is no smell of infection about her. Lately she started acting a little dumpy. Still eating, just a little more dropy than normal so I knew something must be up.

  The doctor tested her ocular pressure and sure enough, glaucoma. Apparently glaucoma is pretty painful although the vet assures me it must not have been bothering her until now since she was not bugging at her eyes and her appetite was not affected. She also has cataracts and is essentially blind, so now I have two blind pigs! Although it still makes me feel a little crappy. I knew her eyes were bulgy, I figured it was glaucoma, but it did not occur to me that she might be in pain. Stupid...

  Anyway, GPs apparently don't get a lot of glaucoma. My vet has never seen it before and no one on VIN had seen it so we are extrapolating the treatment from rabbit treatment bascially. She is getting Trusopt, which is a human glaucoma eye drop and then I am giving her ibuprofen suspension (because I don't trust metacam and it smells like ferret). She may also need to be put on Flurpiprofen eye drops too depending on what kind of results we get with the Trusopt.

  Poor little darling... She is almost 7 and other than a small chronic abscess in her side she is a very healthy pig.  By chronic abscess I mean, the skin is all healed but there is still a pocket of skin which can get a bit of crustiness in it periodically. She must have had some nasty abscess originally...

  Anyway, that is the story of my Tab-tab. She is a trooper. Loves the ibuprofen suspension and I don't even have to get her out of the cage! The drops are easy too so she is a good patient. It probably helps that she gets spoiled tremendously after each eye drop session!

  Take care everyone!!
  Lisa and my gang here at Wheeks and Squeaks
  Missing Murray, Chewie, Russell, Mr. Zippy, and my Jack-Jack