[Gpdd] Health: Re: Vitamin C supplements

leah.mcneil at wachovia.com leah.mcneil at wachovia.com
Wed May 24 11:52:45 EDT 2006

Laura,
I don't mean to sound harsh, but I'm wondering
if your Vet is experienced with guinea pigs. The
reason I'm wondering this is because dry, itchy
skin is not a symptom of a Vit C deficiency.

Here are some Vit C deficient symptoms that I
copied from Guinea Lynx:

--Lethargy, weakness, unwillingness to move
--Hopping instead of walking, enlarged or stiff limb joints
--Not eating, loss of weight
--Diarrhea
--Eye and nose discharge
--Rough coat
--Tenderness to touch (may cry out in pain if restrained), poor flesh
condition
--Internal skeletal-muscular hemorrhage

Also, this is what Guinea Lynx says about adding
Vit C to a piggie's water source:

"Do not add vitamin C to drinking water!
Besides not knowing how much they're getting,
when added to water exposed to air, half its
strength will be lost in as little as a day. Heat,
metal, mineral content (hard water), and
chemicals, most notably chlorine, will also affect
how long the vitamin C is viable, and if the flavor
of the water is adversely affected, the guinea
pig may drink less. Adequate water intake is
vital to good health."

The complete Guinea Lynx article is located at:

http://www.guinealynx.com/scurvy.html

Now, I give my piggies 1/2 of a Vit C tablet (25 mg)
every other day, and I buy the Oxbow brand
apple-flavored Vit C tablets. However, I am looking
for a brand of liquid Vit C to try out, so if any Slaves
know of a brand, please let me know.

I would suggest you treating for your piggies
for mites/fungus, even though your Vet did a thorough
check. Most slaves will suggest an Ivermectin treatment
and also there are special shampoos that can help. But,
I'll let them write in with more details because I don't have
direct experience with those treatments.

I hope that Zephyr is feeling better soon. Whee will
keep him in our thoughts and Prayers...

          Love 'n Wheeeeeeeps,
              Brownie Bear, Butterscotch, and me :-)