[Gpdd] (Health) Re: Candy's eye

Stacy Harvey ckrtsqrl2000 at yahoo.com
Sat May 27 13:26:26 EDT 2006

Alice,
  If Candy's eye was injured (like from accidentally scratching it with a stem of hay), then she may not have a cataract. Piggies usually develop  cloudiness around an eye injury; it's almost like it's meant to protect the eye or something. You may want to check her eye to make sure that no foreign matter is actually stuck into the eye itself and if it doesn't start to clear up in a few days you should have her seen by a vet.

  If it's a cataract and she is blind in that eye, she will still be able to function normally. Many completely blind piggies have gone on to lead perfectly happy and otherwise healthy lives. I am concerned about a "sudden" development of a cataract, though. Is she very young? Some young piggies that develop cataracts sometimes have them as a symptom of diabetes, although I believe in that case the cataracts are in both eyes.

  Hope this helps,
  Stacy and the Squee Squad