[Gpdd] [ANNOUNCE] Hi, New Piggy Owner Here!

Liz Kennedy liz_kennedy at hotmail.com
Wed May 31 13:16:13 EDT 2006

Hi Everybody,
I've been reading through the digests the last couple of days and thought it
time to introduce myself.
My name is Liz, and I just adopted my very first guinea pig last week.  Her
name is Matilda, and she is a 2 year old Himalayan rescue from a rescue
organization out here in Colorado.
She is FANTASTIC!  She's very easy to pick up, very vocal, and so sweet!
She likes to give me lots of kisses when I'm chatting with her (especially
when I hold her while making up her fruit and veggie plate).  I went out
this weekend and bought a baby playpen so I could bring her into whatever
room I'm in, and so she has a place to hang out outside her cage where she
is safe and can't escape.  My basset hound is just in love with her... they
have their own secret language.  She wheeks and he whines back, haha!
I do have one question:  I can't seem to find any fruit Matilda likes.  I
have tried all kinds of apples, oranges, grapefruit, grapes, mangos,
rasberries, strawberries... the list goes on.  But she won't try any of
them.  She does eat all kinds of veggies... parsley, cilantro, spinach,
romaine, celery leaves, carrots, radishes... this list also goes on (I have
rats too, so I buy lots of varieties of fruits and veggies for them so they
don't get bored... who wants to eat the same thing everyday?  Not me!).
Anyway, is it safe to say that she is getting enough vitamin C from the
veggies, or should I be worried?  I also just went online to oxbowhay.com to
get the vitamin c tablets they make for guineas.
Thanks, and look forward to hearing all of your wonderful piggy stories!
Liz, slave to Howie (basset), Matilda (piggy), Griffin, Noah, Oliver, and
Sunny (rats), and Milton (mouse)