[Gpdd] HEALTH - Caramel not eating or drinking

Elly Takaki elftak2003 at yahoo.ca
Mon May 1 22:23:07 EDT 2006

Hi all,

 Condolences to those who have lost beloved piggies. I just wanted to share and ask advice.

 Caramel is sick for the first time ever. She is 4 years old and I noticed today when I picked her up that she seemed lighter and then when I was watching her she appeared listless and wasn't eating (even greens) or drinking. I took her to the vet right away, but he couldn't see any obvious reason for her illness. She also has a bit of white goo around her eyes.

 He gave me an antibiotic (Novo-Trimel Suspension - 0.2 cc twice daily) and gave her an injection right away. She is still listless, I can see her panting and she's still not eating or drinking. I gave her water by syringe but I'm not sure how much to give...I don't want to overload her with water. Do I try to feed her somehow? I've actually not had to deal with an ill pig before and I don't know what to do.

Money is very tight right now and I don't have hundreds of dollars to spend on tests and treatments (although I did wonder if a blood test or something should have been done...I was all stressed out but I should have asked...). Okay, I should do some reading before bugging you guys but does this sound like anything you know of? Scurvy even? I hadn't been putting the vitamin drops in her water lately because someone told me they hate the taste and can get enough vit C from greens. I'm feeling guilty and upset.

Elly