[Gpdd] Health - keeping warm

Cazza177 cazza177 at ntlworld.com
Mon Nov 6 12:39:24 EST 2006

Dear Jem, Crocket and Tubs

The big thing is to make sure they have LOTS of hay to snuggle in and keep
them warm.  The hutch they are in may need a couple of blankets gathered
around the back and side of it (not over the front mesh) -- the main thing
is that the hutch is draught-free.  So, if the hutch is on the floor of your
consevatory, standing it on something that gets it off the ground and away
from draiughts will really help.

The biggest cause of death for guineas over winter is dying through being
left out in gardens without adequate protection from the cold.  The other is
catching pheumonia through being exposed to draughts and lower tempreatures.

If you've a hutch and you don't use hay, then those lovely little furry
cat-napper beds are great, but you'll need a few, as they need to be changed
reguarly and the washing machine in our house is never really turned off
because of that!

I have my piggies in my bedroom over winter and their run is on the floor,
so at night, the sides of their run are covered by blankets so there's no
ground draught can reach them.  I have little cardboard boxes in the run
with cat-nappers in them, and blankets cover the floor of the run (with
newspaper underneath).  I feel their ears and feet, and if they are warm,
then I know I've got it right!  If their feet and ears are cold or cool to
the touch, then they need more to keep them warm.

If your pigs are in a run in the conservatory, and there's no heating
available out there, if it were me, I would bring them into the house.

I'm here in the UK, and I know what you mean about the cold, it has suddenly
turned really nasty at night now.  Those fireworks don't help either!

Take care  Carole