[Gpdd] HEALTH: Vitamin C Drops

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Fri Nov 10 16:49:10 EST 2006

Hi Megan,

I never use Vit C drops in the Piggyfriends water bottles as half of them
never drink it anyway and I am certain that they get all the Vit C from the
vast amount of fresh veggies and fruit that they consume each day. Vit C
added to water has a very short "shelf life" in any case.

I have never encountered any problems with Vit C deficiency and would only
consider using a supplement with a piggy that was having to be syringe fed.
In this case I dissolve a piece of a tablet into the water that I am using
to mix up the feed.

If you give Phylo lots of fresh greens ( cauliflower leaves are a favourite
with my herd ), carrots, broccoli and sweetcorn ( silk and leaves ) he will
get plenty of Vit C. My piggies get other veg in season like runner beans,
peas and beetroot and assorted wild plants. Parsley in moderation is high in
Vit C. They also enjoy apples and melon and munch their way through a pile
of fresh grass every day. The fresher the food, the higher the Vit C
content.

Peppers, cucumber, celery, tomatoes and lettuce have a lower Vit C content
( but are enjoyed by all ).

Hope that all this is of some help!

Wheeks and squeaks from the Piggyfriends and Penny.