[Gpdd] RESCUE - collecting piggies part 2

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Sat Nov 11 11:29:16 EST 2006

Thank you to the kind cavy slaves who have emailed me about part 1. Much appreciated!!

Here's part 2. I'll try and keep it short.

On our way back up the garden to the house, we passed a wooden lean-to attached to the side of the house. This was completely empty and I ventured to suggest to the lady that this would make an ideal room in which to keep her guinea pigs. "Oh no,"she replied, "that's the music room". OK...............let's get out of here.........

We returned to the car and as it was a cold day, I took off my jacket to wrap it around the box containing the single piggy. I was wearing one of my guinea T-shirts and one of the girls, who were still following us around, screamed "I want one of those. Where did you get it?" I told her that it was from an on-line shop called the Winking Cavy. She glared at the elderly lady and demanded "Take me there NOW!!" I tried to explain that it was not a shop that you could visit but the girl threw a tantrum and was, by now, rolling about on the floor, screaming "take me there now" over and over again. My bag is always full of guinea stuff and I managed to find an old dog-eared catalogue, which I offered in order to calm things down. ( Sean was all for jumping in the car and retreating by now ).

I tried to apologise for being the cause, however inadvertently, of such a scene. I forget exactly what I said but I must have called the girl her daughter or granddaughter because she replied that these children were not her family but this place was a school for "gifted children". Right, OK then, time to go. I didn't ask in what way were they "gifted". We'd had enough!

I expected the little sow to be pregnant after being housed with her brothers/cousins and at least one adult boar but she was lucky.

They lived with me for many years. One of the little boys, Oreo, had dental problems in later life. I did not have the wonderful Cavies Castle people to help with teeth then and had to depend on the vet. He never could get his teeth right and Oreo spent a long time on syringe feeds. After he passed away, his brother, Juniper, seemed to lose the will to live. Amethyst, the little sow, lived with some piggy friends who came from my local pet shelter at the same time and was with me until earlier this year. She lived to be 6 1/2 years old.

There is a bit more to add but as this story is too long already, I will post part 3 tomorrow.

Best wishes and lots of squeaks from Penny and the Piggyfriends.