[Gpdd] [Health] Vibrating piggies

Dr Kay Dudman kay.dudman at londonmet.ac.uk
Mon Nov 13 12:47:54 EST 2006

I think I know what you mean.  There are several kinds of vibrating that
my piggies seem to do.

1. There's a dear little bird going "tweet tweet" in the trees and a piggy
will go "bbbrrrr", fixing the bird with a meaningful stare.  This means
"stop that AT ONCE", and we calling it "swearing".  The swear is also
applied to telephones, doorbells, or some other sound that has earned
disapproval.

2. A piggy has just been picked up, and in full expectation of a high
quality cuddle, snuggles up to your chin or ear and makes a higher pitched
"ppprrrr", not as deep as swearing, which we call "special purr".

3. The tremble.  No sound is made, but the piggy shivers slightly.
Sometimes I think this is anxiety, if the piggy is not sure what is
happening (e.g. at the Vet's, or being picked up by a stranger) or might
be uncomfortable (e.g. might have gas in the tummy).  Better have a check
with the Vet to make sure there is nothing the matter.  If a piggy is
uncomfortable, they will sometimes almost barricade themselves in the
bedroom with hay and might be reluctant to eat...this means a trip to the
Vet is on the "things to do today" list.  It is possible a piggy might be
feeling cold, but obviously we don't want that to happen.

I think it was the tremble that was being discussed originally.

Best wishes

Kay