[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Weight loss and increased water intake

DebJonSara at aol.com DebJonSara at aol.com
Thu Nov 16 12:27:20 EST 2006

Fidget (d.o.b. 03.02.03, son of Poivre and brother to Cherub, Cayenne and
Red Dandy, all now at The Bridge) weighed 898g when he was returned to me by his
 adoptive family who were moving into an apartment in June 2004. Within
months it  had settled in the region of 1100 to 1200g, and it reached an all-time
high at  1250g in July this year. Since then, it has been steadily decreasing,
reaching  an all-time low this week at 907g, and I am worried. I am almost
certain there  is no dental problem, as he is eating very well. I have watched
him demolish  huge chunks of homegrown carrots, and would say if anything he is
munching more  pellets and dried food than ever before. He's not just chewing
the food and  spitting it out - he is consuming it, I have watched and
checked! The only  change in his behaviour, other than the weight loss, that I have
noticed, has  been an increased water intake. He and cagemate Scrabble are
gettting through  300ml in 12 hours, and he is very frequently at the water
bottle, which I have  checked and it doesn't leak.

I have often seen similar symptoms mentioned on here before - Alge, didn't
Wilson show the same symptoms? I seem to remember diabetes or kidney disease
were possible diagnoses. I should be really happy to hear from anyone who has
dealt with such symptoms, and particularly to hear advice as to what I can do
to  minimise the weight loss and maximise Fidget's life. I don't think it can
be  diet-related, as none of the other what were 22 Dolly Mixtures have shown
these  symptoms, and they are all fed the same diet. Red Dandy did lose
weight, but had  dental problems and stopped eating. I am putting a Vitamin C
supplement in  Fidget's water, just in case. I can't see syringe-feeding would
achieve  anything, as he is eating really well.

I do have an 18 year old cat whose systems have collapsed. She looks and
feels like a skeleton wrapped in skin, but eats like a horse and lords it over
the other cats and dogs. Each morning we expect to find she has left for The
Bridge, but instead she wakes us demanding her next meal, and she has been like
 this since she was 16! We spoil her because we know her days are numbered.
Could  this be what is happening with Fidget?

All advice gratefully received

Debbie (and the 14 Dolly Mixtures)