[Gpdd] Fwd: Re: [HEALTH] Weight loss and increased water intake

joan fagalde momcat1000 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 16 14:11:45 EST 2006

joan fagalde <momcat1000 at yahoo.com> wrote:  Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 10:07:57 -0800 (PST)
From: joan fagalde <momcat1000 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Gpdd] [HEALTH] Weight loss and increased water intake
To: DebJonSara at aol.com
CC: gpdd at gpdd.org

  Hi Debbie.  I have no experience with Fidget's problem but did want to mention that putting Vitamin C in the water is not the best delivery system.  It degrades quickly and is not very accurate.  You would do better to get the vitamins in a liquid form for babies, watch the amount carefully and syringe it to him with a 1cc syringe.  The baby stuff usually tastes pretty good so Fidget shouldn't mind it.  Sounds like a vet trip coming up. Good luck and I'm sure others will check in with ideas about what's going on.

  Joan, slave to The Lady Bug

DebJonSara at aol.com wrote:
The GPDD moderators frequently reject messages that do not follow
these guidelines:
A lack of a Topic label is the most common reason for message rejection. Please use a Topic Label (HEALTH, CARE, ANNOUNCEMENT, BEHAVIOR, RESCUE, BREEDING, SILLY, PIGLETS, MISC. or VIRTUAL) and descriptive subject. More information on Topic use, post restrictions and permissions can be found at http://www.gpdd.org/topics.html

Postings to the digest must conform to the rules stated at
http://www.gpdd.org/guidelines.html

Please consult the GPDD FAQ at http://www.gpdd.org/faq.html for
a list of commonly asked questions.
All material posted is copyright The Guinea Pigs' Daily Digest, and may not be reproduced in whole or in part in any media - printed or electronic - without written permission of the administrators.Fidget (d.o.b. 03.02.03, son of Poivre and brother to Cherub, Cayenne and
Red Dandy, all now at The Bridge) weighed 898g when he was returned to me by his
adoptive family who were moving into an apartment in June 2004. Within
months it had settled in the region of 1100 to 1200g, and it reached an all-time
high at 1250g in July this year. Since then, it has been steadily decreasing,
reaching an all-time low this week at 907g, and I am worried. I am almost
certain there is no dental problem, as he is eating very well. I have watched
him demolish huge chunks of homegrown carrots, and would say if anything he is
munching more pellets and dried food than ever before. He's not just chewing
the food and spitting it out - he is consuming it, I have watched and
checked! The only change in his behaviour, other than the weight loss, that I have
noticed, has been an increased water intake. He and cagemate Scrabble are
gettting through 300ml in 12 hours, and he is very frequently at the water
bottle, which I have checked and it doesn't leak.

I have often seen similar symptoms mentioned on here before - Alge, didn't
Wilson show the same symptoms? I seem to remember diabetes or kidney disease
were possible diagnoses. I should be really happy to hear from anyone who has
dealt with such symptoms, and particularly to hear advice as to what I can do
to minimise the weight loss and maximise Fidget's life. I don't think it can
be diet-related, as none of the other what were 22 Dolly Mixtures have shown
these symptoms, and they are all fed the same diet. Red Dandy did lose
weight, but had dental problems and stopped eating. I am putting a Vitamin C
supplement in Fidget's water, just in case. I can't see syringe-feeding would
achieve anything, as he is eating really well.

I do have an 18 year old cat whose systems have collapsed. She looks and
feels like a skeleton wrapped in skin, but eats like a horse and lords it over
the other cats and dogs. Each morning we expect to find she has left for The
Bridge, but instead she wakes us demanding her next meal, and she has been like
this since she was 16! We spoil her because we know her days are numbered.
Could this be what is happening with Fidget?

All advice gratefully received

Debbie (and the 14 Dolly Mixtures)

  Sponsored Link

$420,000 Mortgage for $1,399/month - Think You Pay Too Much For Your Mortgage? Find Out!