[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Weight loss and increased water intake

Cazza177 cazza177 at ntlworld.com
Fri Nov 17 05:44:44 EST 2006

Dear Debbie and Fidget

I can't diagnose your problem but would strongly advise you take Fidget to
the vets.  I too had a cat who was very thin and had chronic renal failure
and drank loads of water.  We too saw no point in putting her through
surgery as she was so old, and she was able to continue a good quality of
life for quite some time.

With an increased thirst and no weight gain it may be that Fidget does have
a kidney problem.  I am also wondering if there may be a secondary problem
connected with making no weight gain even though he eats so well.  The only
way you'll know for certain is to get him to a good vet -- there can be
several reasons for no weight gain in this situation and at best all you can
do is speculate until you go to a vet.  If you are in the UK, there's the
Cambridge Cavy Trust or Caveis Castle.  Even if you can't drive there, a
call to them may help you to know what's really going on.

Carole