[Gpdd] [heath]update on sammy and his sniffles

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Sat Nov 18 05:39:30 EST 2006

Re eating newspaper.

The newspapers in England are printed with non-toxic ink and if yours are
the same, I don't believe that this presents a health problem.

I have often had a Piggyfriend who is partial to a bit of newspaper. Sam, in
particular, rips his to shreds though I have never seen him eat it. I have
seen other piggies actually eat a piece though I can't think why. My very
elderly Ash is a paper tearer too.

Did you ever fold up newspaper as a child and cut a row of little figures
out of it? I like to think of the Piggyfriends making rows of dancing
piggies when I am not looking and then rushing to destroy the evidence
before I come home, hence the shredded paper.

What medicine has your vet given Samson? Vets in England commonly prescribe
too small a dose of anything to be effective for piggies and he may need
more of whatever antibiotic you have to shift a URI. Good news that his
lungs are clear as congested lungs can be very dangerous for piggies.

 Have you tried putting a little Vick around his nostrils? I also put some
on their front paws as the vapour will then drift upwards to the nose.

There is also the possibility that he may have an allergy.

Do let us know how he gets on,

Regards from Penny and the Piggyfriends.

.