[Gpdd] [heath]update on sammy and his sniffles

Cazza177 cazza177 at ntlworld.com
Sat Nov 18 12:52:38 EST 2006

Dear Rachel

Guineas do eat newspaper quite often.  It will have wood pulp in it, so
maybe that's what attracts them.  I guess if they only eat a little there's
no harm, but if they are eating a lot, it might be a good idea to cover with
blankets so they can't get at it, because over-eating all that newspaper ink
won't be good for them long-term.

I wonder if the sneezing Samson has might be allgery-related?  It's hard to
tell what the cuase may be to begin with, so you'll have to study him
carefully, and maybe keep a log of what he eats and sleeps on, and see if
you can see a pattern occuring.

Guinea pigs can have issues with different types of hay.  If you've used the
same brand for some time, it is possible he could be reacting to this (you
can have the same food for years and then begin to react to it -- I've had
this happen to me!).  If there's a lot of dust on the hay or maybe
microscopic mould on it, he could be reacting to that, or just the hay in
itself.  Lots of types of hay can be spray with pesticides and herbicides
these days, and it could even be that that he is reacting to.  Even if the
other pigs he lives with don't react, it may be something that only Samson
is senitive to.  Changing hay to something like Timothy hay may help, or it
could be a fruit or veg he is eating.

If your in the UK, you may want to give the Cambrdige Cavy Trust a call.

Guinea lynx says NOT to use the following materials for bedding, they also
say NOT to use cedar or pine shavings (see
http://www.guinealynx.info/bedding_avoid.html if you want to know more on
this):-

X Newspaper
While some people find it useful to line the bottom of the cage with
newspaper and place another bedding on top, newspaper alone is a poor
bedding material. It does not absorb liquids well, does not control odors,
and must be frequently changed.
X Corn Cob Bedding
Corn cob bedding has a tendency to mold, does not control odors, and is
reportedly hard on a cavy's feet, making it a poor bedding. Cavies will
sometimes eat this bedding, which reportedly swells when wet. Corn cob
bedding can contribute to impaction problems in males.
X Straw
Straw is non absorbent, can mold, and the stiff stalks may cause injuries
(especially eye injuries) to your pet.

Here's what Peter Gurney says for allergies.  Good luck.  Carole

ALLERGIES

There are a few guinea pigs that suffer allergies, which affect the
respiratory system and I seethe with anger every time I hear that a vet has
prescribed antibiotics for this problem. The symptoms are totally different
from a bacterial infection and the onset is far more rapid. If your guinea
pig suddenly develops a dry sounding rasp in its chest and nose yet in all
other respects it seem perfectly healthy, has a good appetite, not a
laboured respiration and is behaving in a bright and alert manner then you
can bet it is suffering from an allergy or just a cold.

What it needs is a decongestant, BISOLVON being the veterinary medicine.
However, if your vet will not prescribe this then give it 0.4 Sudafed, the
cough medicine formulated for chesty coughs in humans.   In many cases one
dose is sufficient but it can be given up to three doses.  If the condition
persists there are other drugs that can be given but these are prescription
only medicines.

When these conditions develop try to think if there has been a change of hay
or bedding which could cause the allergy. However, allergies, in many cases,
can be airborne and extremely hard to track down. If this is the cause of
the wheezing then it can clear up as quickly as it came, as the irritant in
the air moves on.

The lips of some guinea pigs are extremely allergic to the acid in fruit,
particularly in apples. It breaks down the membrane and can cause a fungal
or bacterial infection, which causes painful scabs. I use the old-fashioned
Gentian violet. DO NOT LET ANY CHEMIST TELL YOU THAT THIS PRODUCT IS NO
LONGER AVAILABLE. This excellent product can be obtained in most corn
merchants or establishments that sell horse tack.

Paint over the scabs on the first day but be sure to pick them off on the
second and every subsequent day as you repaint the site of the scabs.  In
sixteen years of living with guinea pigs I have never known this treatment
to fail!