[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Duke

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Mon Nov 20 07:28:51 EST 2006

Glynis, I am so very sorry to read about Duke's health trouble. The fact
that he has turned his face from the world makes me remember all the times
that I have seen this happen. They seem to close down on everything to
prepare for the journey ahead.

I have spent countless hours trying to encourage a piggy to eat, trying to
coax him/her with matchsticks of carrot or parsley stalks poked inside their
mouth or a blade of grass thick enough to hold its shape.I had one who would
only eat wholemeal bread and watermelon in addition to the syringed food but
she made it!

I see from the archives that you used Critical Care when your beloved Sully
was ill. Have you tried the CCT recipe?  Chinchilla grass pellets ( enough
to cover the bottom of a cup). Hot ( not quite boiling) water to soak the
pellets until they are soft. Mashed potato ( make up a little of the dried
type - it is easier to syringe ) an equal amount to the pellets. Mix this up
until it is of a consistency to pass through the syringe. The thicker the
better.

I usually break a piece from a Vit C tablet and dissolve it in a little
water and add this to the mixture. Some piggies seem to like this mix and I
have had some that would eat it from a tiny spoon or even a bowl.

Although you can more easily syringe things like babyfood or apple it is the
fibre content that is vital to keep things moving internally. Consider how
much hay is normally consumed during the course of a day! It may sound odd
but Cavies Castle also use Readybrek ( an instant breakfast food ) made with
water instead of milk. This is another way of getting that all important
fibre inside.

I'm sure that you know to give Duke lots of water.

I will be thinking of Duke while I am at work today and hope that his health
improves. The Piggyfriends all send their love and wheeks.

Best wishes and good luck,

Penny.