[Gpdd] [ANNOUNCE] Piggie Rescue advice - Glynis

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Tue Nov 21 05:17:57 EST 2006

Glynis,

Congratulations on joining the ranks of the piggy rescuers!

When I am collecting piggies I use those flat pack cardboard carriers from
the pet store. I always take an extra one or two in case the three sows that
I have been asked to fetch turn out to be two boars and a sow. Or a rabbit
as in one of my stories! You never know.

Put a thick layer of newspaper in the bottom of the box and lots of hay on
top. I take a supply of carrots, cucumber and fresh grass for the piggies to
munch on the way home. I don't attach a water bottle to the box as it
invariably sloshes around when you hit the first bump in the road and makes
the box floor wet. I take bottles in the car in case of an emergency and
hope that I don't need them but if there is a long hold up in traffic I
could pull over and offer the piggies a drink. ( I have never needed to do
this but am always prepared ). Lots of cucumber will provide them with
enough moisture until you get them home.

I take bowls of dry food with me, but if you are offered the piggies' usual
food by their owners do accept it as, although it might not be what you
would feed, the piggies will be used to it and a sudden change of feed could
cause upset tummies.

Don't be surprised if they don't clear up all the food on the journey. Some
will eat every scrap and others may be too nervous to eat ( but will soon
make up for it when they get home ).

Don't be put off by some of the weird people that I have encountered. I have
also met a lot of nice folk who just couldn't care for their little ones any
more and were sensible enough to seek help.

Good luck on Thursday and drive carefully. Remember to take snacks for
yourself as well!

Do let us all know how you get on!

Penny and the Piggyfriends.