[Gpdd] GPDD: MISC: Flying Piggies

Candy G. crawdad1953 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 1 15:43:30 EDT 2006

Greetings, Rachel -

I, too, read with interest the article about the poor
little hammie that got loose on the plane.  I fear that
the notoriety of the event and the not-so-familiar-ness
of most folks with the differences between hamsters
and piggies might make some airlines a little hesitant for a
while to okay flying piggies.  I hope this doesn't happen.

My pigs have flown with me a good bit and we have
never had a problem with it.  Delta, although it certainly
isn't the airline it used to be, is still very pet friendly.  They
will let you fly your piggies in the cabin with you depending
on how many pigs it is.  Usually there is an extra charge of
$50 - $75 (EACH WAY) for the animal(s).

I had two piggies and explained to the operator I was
speaking with each time that they were a bonded pair and
therefore needed to travel in the same carrier.  Most folks
are not familiar with piggies and so, each time, the operator
was imagining me cramming two poor animals into a really
small space.  As soon as I fully explained the situation to
them, they okayed two piggies in one carrier.  I don't know
if they would okay more than two per carrier and each
passenger is only allowed to have one carrier, so if you are
traveling alone and have more than two piggies, that would
be a problem.

I won't take up digest space with the details of transport
and the carriers, but if you want to email me off digest for
more information, I'd be happy try to answer your questions
or at least tell you what has and hasn't worked for me.

One thing I will put in the digest as a note to anyone
traveling with their piggies:  The security folks at the security
gates are clueless about piggies.  They will insist that you put
the carrier on the conveyor belt and send the pigs through
the xray machine (this is the machine that purses and carry-ons
go through).  DO NOT DO IT!!  My vet always includes a note
on the health certificate (you'll need a health certificate)
stating very clearly that that dosage of xray is very harmful to
the pigs and that they cannot go through that conveyor belt
xray machine without it harming them.  So, I place the carrier
on the belt, then put a piece of newspaper in one of the
plastic bins for purses, shoes, etc., then take the pigs out of
the carrier, put them in the bin, and hand it to one of the
security folks.  You have to do this pretty quickly and efficiently
because if you hold up the line too long, the security folks are
not as inclined to accomodate you and the pigs.  As soon as I
am through the walk-through (human) xray, I pick the pigs up
and let the security person use the "sniffer wand" on each of
them (although how a piggie could be packed with enough of
anything to do any damage, I can't imagine).  This approach
has worked for me every time, but you have to stay really
pleasant and calm and explain things in a very courteous but
concise way - the security folks don't suffer fools or rudeness
gladly and they can refuse to let the pigs through without
being xrayed if they are of a mind to.

Anyway, there's more information such as what carriers will
and will not be accepted, the health certificate, etc.  If you
want it let me know.

Here is the Delta site that has their specific requirements
and limitations:

http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations/special_travel_needs/pet_travel_information/index.jsp

If you are not able to click onto this site, go to
www.delta.com and (on the dark blue line of tabs under
the Delta logo) click on "Planning and Reservations -
SPECIAL TRAVEL NEEDS", then when that page comes up,
click on "Pet Travel Information".  This site also addresses
the issue of traveling outside the country with pets.

One note of caution:  My piggies started flying and
traveling with me when they were very young and they
did very well with it and became seasoned travelers.
HOWEVER, traveling - particularly flying - can be VERY
stressful for piggies, plus then being in a different place
with different accomodations, people, etc., adds even
more stress.  Please think about all the different aspects
of your trip(s) and how it might affect your piggies
before deciding to take them with you.  Let me also
say, though, that I fully understand the hesitation to
leave them boarded at your vet's or in the care of
someone else.  It is a very personal decision and always
a very hard decision to make either way you decide.
I have taken them sometimes and I have boarded
them sometimes.  Neither decision is easy and both
decisions carry worrisome consequences.  In the end,
only you can decide what is best for your piggies, and
what is truly best for them may not feel like what is
best for us or what we WANT to do, but we must
always decide in favor of what is best for them.

So that's my two cents on piggie travel.  Sorry for the
length of this email.  Gee... I haven't posted a marathon
email to the digest in a long time.  Have y'all missed
them???  haaaahahahahahahaha

Love to all and extra healing and kisses to those who
are ill or in sorrow,

Candy; Topper; Cat X
(and sweet Mollie always in our hearts)