[Gpdd] ANNOUNCEMENTS - ROLL CALL & HEATHER - SEIZURES

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Mon Oct 2 13:14:18 EDT 2006

Hello there,

Without seeing her, I would guess that Cinnamon could be suffering from
mites ( also known as Sellnick or sarcoptic mange ). The seizures are caused
by the intense itching and are not normal behaviour.

I have taken in piggies with this condition and the remedy is Ivomec
together with an anti-parasitic shampoo. Take her along to your vet asap as
you do not want her to continue having fits.

I give the Ivomec orally ( one or two drops depending on the size of the
piggy ) followed by another dose ten days later. Your vet will probably want
to administer it himself and thereby charge you more and may well inject
your piggy.

I use Vet-sect shampoo and I know that Seleen is good too. I don't know what
is available in the US but hopefully your vet will be able to advise you.

I don't mean to be detrimental to vets but, in England, those that know
about piggies are few and far between!

I also give Ivomec as a preventative measure and dose all the Piggyfriends
every 3 months.

Hope that this of some help. Let us all know how Cinnamon gets on.

Regards from Penny and the Piggyfriends.