[Gpdd] [BEHAVIOR] Keep in same cage with divider before introductions??

Ginger Hoffman gingera at MIT.EDU
Sun Oct 8 23:51:42 EDT 2006

Dear Everyone,

First, many warm and healing thoughts to those of you with sick and
recently departed piggies, including slaves of Bilbo, Cocopuff, and Mr.
Cooders, and all of the other names I've forgotten.  Please accept my
deepest condolences.

Second, it's getting to be about the time when I introduce my new
addition, Flaco-paco, to my piggie Nosophoros.  Flaco is still in
quarantine, stuck there with a case of lice (eek!!).  I treated with
topical ivermectin because i had it on hand (and read on guinealynx
that it worked on lice).  He will get dose number 2 tomorrow, and they
do seem to be gone now.  So I'm thinking of doing the introductions in
maybe 4 to 6 days.  He also has a vet appointment Wednesday, so I'll
gage whether I can do introductions from that, too (he's been in
quarantine 3 weeks and 1 day--the only issue is the lice).

ANYWAY, I've read the cavyspirit.com/sociallife site a million times,
but one thing it doesn't talk about is whether it's advantageous to
keep the boys in the same cage separated by a divider for a while
BEFORE the actual introductions.  Has anyone done this?  If so, how did
it work?  I think the only disadvantage would be that the cage that
would be divided is Nosophoros' current cage.  Of course I'd wash
everything to get rid of the urine scent, but I don't know if that
would work.  But, they have to go into that cage anyway at some point,
though..

Sorry this was so long!!  Thanks for listening (I posted this question
on cavycages, but I only got one reply (which was helpful, but I just
want to see if anyone else has had experience with this)).

Thank you!

best,
Ginger, Nosophoros, and Flaco-paco (and Wallie, forever in our hearts)