[Gpdd] Misc: Salt licks

joan fagalde momcat1000 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 9 12:45:32 EDT 2006

Hi Lisa.  In regards to salt/mineral wheels etc. don't give any to your fur babies.  As long as they have good quality pellets with plenty of fresh hay and greens they are getting all they need.  The wheels etc. can give them too much which can cause problems.  Please check out www.guinealynx.com.  They are a great reference and have years of experience with guinea pigs.  Unfortunately, a lot of the knowledge about our babies has come at their expense and mistakes being made.

  As for herbs, any garden herb that we use in cooking can probably be given in small amounts.  Unfortunately, one of the favorites, parsley, in large amounts for example can cause calcium problems.  Keeping in mind that their natural diet is grass they sometimes have digestive problems with other stuff we give them as treats.  I'm guilty sometimes of the same thing and have made lots of mistakes with The Lady Bug when she was younger.  Fortunately, none seem to be long lasting and were not fatal to her.

  Again, please check out the above link and good luck with your babies.

  Joan, slave to The Lady Bug