[Gpdd] [RAINBOW BRIDGE] Cannelletto has gone to The Bridge

DebJonSara at aol.com DebJonSara at aol.com
Tue Oct 10 06:17:57 EDT 2006

It is with profound sadness, and in a state of deep shock, that I must
announce the departure to The Rainbow Bridge during last night of our dear  "baby"
Cannelletto, son of already departed Cannelle and of Claude, brother to
already departed Vanilla and Scruff and to Cherry and Zebra. Cannelletto was 2
years old on 3rd July 2006. He showed signs of a respiratory infection on 9th
September 2006, after spending a particularly draughty night in his outdoor
hutch with his brother.

The vets were closed, but I was expecting a visit from my new vet nurse
friend in Paris, and when I contacted her, she brought some infant "Bactrim"
medicine, which she uses to treat URI's in her own 40-odd piggies, so I
administered that. I also contacted Cavies Castle, and they advised Sudafed and
Bisolvon and Vic as well, so I proceeded with that treatment over the suggested
week and he seemed to recover. Throughout he was eating, pooping, moving and
talking as normal. I thought he had recovered.

Last week he seemed to have a relapse. Once again I contacted Cavies  Castle,
and this time got details of the triple shot for respiratory infections,
which my vet kindly sold me. She gave him his first shots yesterday morning. She
listened to his chest and said one lung was full of fluid. I tried to syringe
 feed him as a top-up, because although he was still eating, he had lost a
lot of  weight.

I really thought he was on the mend. He never seemed that ill. He was still
perky, alert, eating with enthusiasm. I didn't even check the cage first
thing.  I was dreading giving the injection at 10am, but knew it was for his own
good.  But when my partner called me into the room, I knew, from the alarn in
his  voice. Our little baby had gone. There was his puzzled brother, Zebra,
standing  over him.

Pete is burying him as I write, along with a little mouse a cat caught
yesterday evening. Of course I blame myself. He should have had those triple  shots
right at the beginning. I knew he was losing weight. I was trying not to
panic. He seemed so fit .... .

I have placed Zebra's cage beside that of Fidget and Scrabble - you may
remember my telling you, Zeb and Can used to invade this neighbouring cage and
taunt their elder neighbours! But the vet nurse in Paris knows a vet there who
could castrate Zebra - then he could move in with a couple of girlies, like
his  dad has done. Or he could forego the risks of surgery, and his lone cage
could  be placed alongside those of the girls - but would that be too
frustrating for  him? What do you all think would be best for Zebra? I owe him. I let
his brother  down very badly.

Sorry, I can't find any flowery language. Cannelletto was a sweet, fluffy
little piggie who should have had a long, healthy life ahead of him - one of
only two who has lived here all his life. I should have acted sooner and saved
him.

Run free with your mum and siblings in that lush green meadow, Cannelletto  -
and please forgive me for my lack of care.

Debbie - and the now only 15 grieving Dolly  Mixtures