[Gpdd] Care:Feeding

joan fagalde momcat1000 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 10 12:04:24 EDT 2006

Hi Rachael.  It's very confusing trying to do the best we can for the fur babies but here are some guidelines.  Sure, at 24 weeks your guys should look fine but who knows at 48 weeks.  The alfalfa/timothy pellets are actually ok as long as they comprise less than 50% of their diets.  Feed lots and lots of hay and lettuce.  Combine different colors of lettuce as each has it's own nutritional value.  I know this can be hard in both high Summer and deep Winter but do the best you can.  If it's at all possible give them very clean grass with their normal food as this is actually their natural diet. Give only very small amounts of cabbage in any form as this can definitely cause gas which can sometimes lead to other problems and cut way back on the carrots and apples.  Just very small pieces every few days.  GP's should only need alfalfa 'till the're about 9 months but I see you already have them on timothy, that's good.

  Please check out www.guinealynx.com.  This site has a pretty complete nutritional breakdown and can answer a lot of your questions as they arise.  The board is comprised of vets, vet assistants and rescue people and they are quite knowledgeable.  By the way, dump the vet you've got.  They are not Cavy knowledgeable.  You will need to find an exotics vet.  They are the ones who are usually Cavy friendly.

  Hope all this helps.  Good for you for trying to do the right thing.

  Joan, slave to The Lady Bug