[Gpdd] [GPDD] Health - Diet and Meds

Susi Eastin ok.cavylodge at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 10 16:59:50 EDT 2006

Rachel-  The vet you went to is probably either not an exotics vet and
  doesn't see a lot of piggies, or maybe has run into a problem with one
  developing stones, etc.  BUT - I think most here would agree, that it
  is just fine, even advisable, to feed your piggies veggies and alfalfa.
  In fact, alfalfa is good for them up to one year, as it gives them the
  added calcium they need for their growing bones and teeth, etc. After
  one year of age, we still feed it some, but as a treat, and feed them
  primarily timothy and other grass hay. (alfalfa is a legume)
  As far as the veggies - check the list of good foods. Some, like romaine,
  are great for them. Some, like tomatoes and parsey, are good but not
  in great quantities, or if they are prone to problems like stones or blisters
  around the mouth. Some others, only in limited amounts or occasionally,
  and some, like potatoes or leaves from the tomato plant, never.  The
  cabbage, and broccoli, I would think should fall into the "limited amounts"
  category, as they can cause gas. Not a good thing for piggies. (you should
  get some of the infant simethicone drops to have on hand for this)
  I think I vote for the rescue lady, but you might want to discuss this again
  with the vet to see what his thinking was. And if they are "perfectly healthy",
  someone must have been doing something right!  That is always one comment
  that I consider a high compliment at the shows, regardless of any other
  comments we get from a judge. Never mind if 'the nose is too pointed', or
  'the body too long', etc - if they are 'in excellent condition', I'm happy.

  Sasha - As far as the vet recommending using bleach on the piggie - did he mean
  Clorox, or something like peroxide?  Either way, of course, it would not be
  advisable. Recently there has been some advice against even using peroxide
  on cuts, etc, but some feel it is ok. My vet recommended it recently, I used
  it lightly once or twice. But do we really want to recommend turning our back
  on that vet? Wouldn't it be better to discuss it and get it sorted out, and not
  worry that the same mis-advice would be given to others who are not fortunate
  enough to learn with us?  If handled correctly, this can probably be done so
  that this won't be repeated to others. When the girl at our good doctor Wallis's
  once directed us to withold food and water after midnight for Lil'Whistle when
  he was going in for his "alterations", I calmly explained to her that gp's are
  different from most, and this would cause more harm than good. She understood,
  and I asked that she make note in order to advise future patients properly.
  In that way we can help more than just this one piggie.

  As for the question of the tea tree oil having poisoned the piggie, maybe any
  symptoms would have presented right away. But still, a good argument for having
  that charcoal on hand in the first aid kit, just in case. Can anyone advise on it's
  use?

  Susi & the OP's