[Gpdd] Health Mites. Jemma's piggies

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Wed Oct 11 13:11:34 EDT 2006

Hi Jemma ( and Crocket and Tubbs ).

I don't want to repeat myself and annoy everyone else but I use Ivomec (
Ivermectin ) as a mite deterrent. The Piggyfriends all have 2 drops orally
every three months ( one drop for a small pig ). Only use this when they are
over 3 months old. I can buy mine in a little dropper bottle and it is very
easy to use. The other day someone posted that they use this topically,
putting the drops behind their ears and using the little ear flap to rub it
in. Vets will probably want to inject it ( more pain for the piggies ) but
not all vets will administer it as a deterrent. Hope your vet will.

I have been told that the mites can arrive in the hay. Don't have any proof
of this as the little ******s are too small to see and you can't believe
everything that you hear!

In the book "Diseases of Domestic Guinea Pigs" by V.C.G.Richardson it says
that although the life cycle of the mite is 14 days, the eggs can remain
dormant for 1 -21 months!! and can exist all this time in the host. So it
would seem that prevention is better than cure.

I haven't had any trouble with mites for years using the Ivomec regime other
than poorly piggies arriving here already infested.

Best wishes from Penny and the Piggyfriends.