[Gpdd] [Health] Junk Foods

Evelyn Baker ebak at ca.inter.net
Wed Oct 11 23:57:06 EDT 2006

I've had this same problem with guinea pigs. They refuse to eat
because they are unwell. Well, at that point anything you can get
them to eat is pretty much a good thing. I had one guinea pig that
had a tooth problem and she was very finicky. When the teeth were
trimmed she still wouldn't eat. I would sprinkle toast crumbs on her
pellets to get her to eat. She would dig for the toast and eat
pellets as well and eventually she would start eating them until the
next time she needed a trim.

As she got older she got fussier. A pellet brand she'd gobble up one
week was passe the next. She would then only eat alfalfa pellets,
often the cheapest brand. Her weigh was low though. My vet said that
they always like the junkiest ones but at least she's eating.

In your piggie's case, once she's got her weight up you can try
adjusting her diet. Feeding these foods to her will not hurt her on
the short term. It's a long term thing and the idea is to make sure
she gets to that point.

Good luck.

Evelyn and Phoebe, Fussy pig #2.