[Gpdd] [BEHAVIOR] Nosophoros and Flaco-Paco have been "formally" introduced--would love more advice

Ginger Hoffman gingera at MIT.EDU
Sun Oct 15 13:30:01 EDT 2006

Thank you Laura, Penny, Charlene, Maren, and everyone else who gave me
advice about introductions.

Here's the update:  I followed the "gradual introductions" of 2 adult
boars on barmy4boars.co.uk, and introduced last night on neutral
territory.  I also rubbed something that smelled like Nosophoros on
Flaco-Paco (and vice versa) before putting them in the introduction
territory.  They were in that territory for about 4 hours, and there
were no major fights, but there was a LOT of mounting, rumbling, butt
sniffing, chasing and heated "talking".  I then put them in their fully
cleaned cage (what used to be Wallie and Nosophoros' cage, and then
just Nosophoros' cage--it's 4 x 3.5 C and C) for about 3 hours.  Same
deal--almost constant chasing and talking, LOTS of rumbling and
butt-sniffing.  I put a divider down the middle when I went to bed just
because things seemed a little too rambunctious and I was worried about
injuries.  I took the divider out about 30 minutes ago today, and the
behavior is the same--almost *constant* sniffing and chasing and
"heated" talking.  There are breaks of 2-3 minutes of quiet, sometimes,
though!

All advice is appreciated.  I want to keep putting the divider up when
I go out or go to sleep, because I feel like the risk of injuries is
high.  But I've also heard (mainly from cavycages members) that it's
very bad to keep taking the divider down and putting it back up--that
they "start over" every time the divider is taken down (which seems a
little extreme to me--I thought that they could remember each other and
make *some* relationship progress through the bars--is that true?).
So, should I keep putting the divider up and down, or should I leave it
in?  What about floor time?  Should I try a buddy bath?  (although I
can't do the buddy bath for a few days, because I need someone to help
me with it).

I'm a little confused about the "buddy" relationship in general--how do
you know if two pigs have bonded?  Because it seems like most bonded
pigs still rumble and even have a little spat occasionally.  It seems
like there's a very fine line between 'bonded' and 'not
bonded/bullying'.  For example, Wallie and Nosy seemed to get along
reasonably well.  There was lots of rumbling and some brief spats
between them for 8 months, but also lots of calm.  Eventually, it
seemed like the spats were resulting in tufts of fur being pulled, and
blood was drawn twice (two very minor cuts on the lip) so I separated
them (although put them together for floor time).  Basically, it was
never clear to me when they crossed the line from "getting along" to
"not getting along."

Maybe I should just keep the divider in, and if it looks like Nosy and
Flaco are getting super-friendly, I can try taking it out.  But then
should I have them together for floor time, or is that stressful for
them??  It's all very confusing to me.

Sorry for such a lengthy post!  Thanks for listening!

best,
Ginger, Nosophoros, and Flaco-Paco (and Wallie, who's watching from the
bridge, probably rooting for Flaco-Paco!)