[Gpdd] Misc: Piggies and Stairs

Ruth Leibowitz dr.leibq at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 17 14:11:26 EDT 2006

I haven't been able to see the stair video yet because the website is
blocked by my computer system at work.  However, I wanted to say that when I
was a child I had a guinea pig named Penelope who I taught to go up and down
stairs from an early age.  She was an only pig, and I was going through a
difficult and lonely time during that period of my childhood, so we bonded
very strongly and were one another's best friends.  I would walk down the
block and she would follow me! (No leash needed!) Then we'd come up to the
house, and she would jump up the front porch stairs, jump up the one stair
leading into the house, and run to the refrigerator where she would await
her treat.  One timeI was in the backyard with her as she munched on grass.
I  ran into the house for something, forgetting that I had left her there on
her own!  When I remembered I panicked -- but when I opened the back door
there she was -- she had run off the lawn and up the back porch stairs, and
was waiting patiently at the back door for me to open it for her.  Then she
jumped up into the kitchen and -- you guessed it -- made her way to the
refrigerator and wheeked until I gave her enough veggie treats to make up
for my lapse.

I think that as adults we often assume that non-human animals are much less
capable than they are.  As a young child, I didn't have those notions.  I
loved Penelope as a fellow being and ASSUMED she was smart and capable, so I
treated her as if she were.  Now when I look back and I think of the walks I
used to take with Penelope, I realize that she must have simply thought of
me as a large fellow guinea pig, and followed me much the same way that my
two guinea pigs now do with one another during floor time.

Ruth in Portland